Diesel Mechanics – Job Description
As diesel mechanics being one of the best jobs in machinery or vehicles like tractors, buses, trains, trucks, motor, bikes, etc it’s a job that covers various aspects of diesel engines like making adjustments, maintaining pieces of operating equipment in diesel, and also correcting inadequacy in vehicles, etc.
Diesel mechanics work with heavy vehicles, like buses and trucks, while doing that they carry out a wide range of diesel engines repair, specialized services, and maintenance checks on the specified vehicles. Also, a diesel mechanic is responsible for the checking of the water-cooling system, to the air and oil filters.
Diesel mechanics (also known as diesel technicians) are specialized mechanics who work on the repair, maintenance of diesel-powered engines, often in trucks and other heavy types of equipment. They are also readily involved in the rebuilding of diesel engines that serves as a source of power to trucks, buses, trains, ships, and other vehicles.
The following enlists some of the major job responsibilities of a diesel mechanic:
- In other to ensure a proper repair of engines, mechanics run a diagnostic test, by using a variety of tools like pliers, wrenches, grinders, drills, and lathes, to find the source of the problem and then remove and replace any faulty parts.
- Mechanics maintain engines by checking the water-cooling systems and also cleaning the air and oil filters to prevent the breakdown of engines parts.
- Rebuilding of diesel engines is also very necessary as a diesel mechanic in a regular work routine because diesel engines are expensive to replace.
- After a vehicle has traveled more than a hundred thousand miles, diesel mechanics take the engine apart completely, replace all worn parts, and fix the engine back together.
- Diesel mechanics use testing equipment such as dynamometers, which involves measuring engine power.
- Being in a good health condition is also essential as a diesel mechanic, because they often lift heavy engine parts.
- Diesel mechanics adhere to an inspection procedure checklist and also test-drive vehicles to gauge their performance.
- He/she is saddled with the responsibility of checking vehicle lighting systems.
- They also perform and maintain involved records of vehicles they have serviced.
- And lastly ensuring the cleanliness of their shop and their various place of work, whether it is an organization.
Diesel Mechanics – Salary In California
A diesel mechanic job provides a secure employment opportunity in government and private organizations or even through self-employment due to its high job-orienting nature.
How Much Do Diesel Mechanics Make in California? It is estimated that the annual median salary for a diesel mechanic in California is $69,860
The average hourly wage for a Diesel Mechanic in California is $33.50, which amounts to about $67,597 per year. The lowest 10% makes about $57,674 annually, while the highest 10% makes about $79,436 per year.