Interior Designers – Job Description
Interior designers are the professionals who are responsible for designing and furnishing the interior of a building. The interior designer’s job is to plan and design the space by considering aspects such as size, shape, function and purpose. They also help in choosing materials that will complement the space and make it more appealing.
The job description of an interior designer is quite broad and has evolved over time with new trends in design and technology. Interior designers are more than just decorators, they are now responsible for designing spaces from the inside out, taking into account the needs of their clients and the needs of their employees. They also make sure that their designs are compliant with building codes, safety requirements, and other regulations.
The job requires extensive knowledge of design principles and materials as well as an eye for detail in order to work with clients to create a design plan for their homes or office.
Interior designers need to have a broad range of skills including drawing, painting, colour theory and lighting. Below are some of the important duties and tasks expected of an interior designer:
- Undertake design project from concept to completion
- Determine the clients goals and requirements for the project
- Define project requirements and schedule
- Interpret and translate customer needs into rough sketches
- Set costs and project fees according to budget
- Research and decide on materials and products sourcing
- Produce “sample” and “mood products”
- Supervise work progress
- Work closely with designers, decorators, architects and constructors
- Research and follow industry changes, evolutions and best practises
- Oversee construction and coordinate with general building contractors to implement the plans and specifications for the project
Interior designers work in a variety of fields such as commercial design, residential design, industrial design, and architectural design.
Interior Designers – Salary
An interior designer works with clients to create aesthetically pleasing rooms and spaces. Clients range from homeowners to large corporations. No matter the size, every interior designer works to create spaces that are attractive, functional, and safe while meeting the specific needs of the client.
How Much Do Interior Designers Make in California? It is estimated that the annual average salary for an Interior Designer in California is $60,360. There are a number of factors that determines the salary of an interior designer, they include the type of work, experience, and certification level.
The average hourly wage for Interior designers in California is $29.02, which amounts to about $60,360 per year. The lowest 20% makes about $32,240 annually, while the highest 20% makes about $107,450 per year.