Mechanics – Job Description
Mechanics are a professional who performs major maintenance or repairs on cars, small engines, trucks, and other transportation vehicles. They also work on the replacement of worn parts like wheel bearings, brake pads, sensors, tires, and also oil changes.
Apart from repairing vehicles, machinery, light trucks, and other mechanical components, Mechanics also oversee maintenance inspections, monitor inventory, assembling of mechanical components, and so on. Their duties include communicating with vehicle owners to discuss their concerns, carrying out routine maintenance procedures on motor vehicles and replacing parts on vehicles to increase their efficiency.
Mechanics (also known as service technicians) typically work in garages but are also found in places like indoor garages, service shops, dealerships workplaces, and other workshops. The following enlists some of the major duties and responsibilities of a mechanic (service technicians):
- Inspecting vehicle engine and mechanical/electrical components to diagnose issues accurately
- Inspecting vehicle computer and electronic systems to repair, maintain and upgrade
- Assemble mechanical components according to specifications.
- Offer consultation on maintenance and preventative procedures to machine and vehicle users.
- Perform vehicle assessments and alert clients on issues that will prohibit their vehicles from passing inspection.
- Conduct regular maintenance on machinery, systems, and automotive vehicles to improve functionality and longevity
- Meet with clients to better understand their concerns and identify the issue.
- Maintain work logs, repairs, and maintenance records.
- Monitor inventory and order new parts when necessary.
- Maintain and clean garage equipment and tools to ensure they are kept in a safe and usable condition at all times
- Adhere to company work safety policies
Mechanic – Salary In Texas
Automotive service technicians and mechanics are trained professionals who maintain and repair cars, light trucks, and other automobiles. Most mechanics work full-time for private companies, and some are self-employed. Most work in well-ventilated and well-lit repair shops.
How Much Do Mechanics Make in Texas? It is estimated that the annual median salary for a mechanics in Texas is $45,483
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Mechanics (service technicians) in texas earn as much as $21.87 per hour which amounts to about $45,483 per year. The lowest 20% makes about $23,995 annually, while the highest 20% makes about $86,213 per year.